Friday, December 4, 2009

Sameness Within Difference

My mother raised my two sisters and me to believe that we can and will achieve anything we put our minds to, and that whatever our goals may be, they will, under no circumstances, be easily obtained.

My mom's philosophy has molded me in earth-shattering ways. While other young girls were still searching for acceptance, I was already confident in my abilities and worked hard to earn what I wanted. When "the man" (aka the in-group, school administration, or my parents) tried to put me down, I picked my fights and won many battles because I was able to stand up for myself and my actions. Consequently, I became one of a handful of girls in my educational community selected to lead extra-curricular activities, sponsor events, take Honors classes, and ultimately re-define the role of "teenage girl" in the 21st Century.

Dr. Ball asked the class whether we believe in a Sameness or Difference theory of gender law studies. I argued that I believed in both. When considering gender, in any aspect, one must always keep in mind that there are two distinct genders. The distinct and defined physical differences between men and women are apparent. On the other hand, capabilities are completely individual. While sometimes influenced by gender, gender does not define an individual's capacity to achieve.

women in law: Erin Brockevich.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TjEklyF7-E

Limits should not be placed on any person for any reason other than individual capabilities, which are not defined by gender. Wollstonecraft (firefighters)

Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Susan B Anthony, Gertrude Stein

bias studies, minority women still the lowest class citizen (get stats)

No comments:

Post a Comment